- To create the filling, soften the chopped leeks for 5-10 minutes over a gentle heat in 1 tbsp olive oil and add the spinach leaves. Stir over a low heat until the spinach wilts. In a bowl, whisk in the eggs, crumbled feta and chopped parsley. Add the cooked spinach and leeks and stir together.
- Cut the filo sheets in half, creating 12 squares measuring roughly 10 x 9 inches each, and cover with a damp tea towel while assembling the rolls. To create four pastry sheets for the rolls, place a filo square on the work surface, brush with olive oil and cover with a second sheet of filo, brush that with oil and then place third and final sheet on the top. Create 3 more sheets in the same way. Cover each completed sheet with a damp tea towel.
- To construct the rolls, divide the filling into four. Spread the mixture down the right-hand side of each pastry sheet leaving an inch at top and bottom. Turn over the top and bottom to hold the filling in, then roll up neatly, and brush the seam with oil.
- Place the rolls, seam side down, on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180°C.
2 Medium Leeks
300g Baby Spinach Leaves
2tbsp Chopped Flat-Leaved Parsley
100g Feta Cheese
2tbsp Olive Oil
6 sheets 10x18 inch Filo Pastry
Julie Simpson creates some Leek & Spinach Rolls ideal for travelling
- words: Julie Simpson
- pictures: David Merewether
You may also like
Writer, blogger and homemaker Cherry Menlove will be demonstrating her baking and craft skills at the Chefs’ Theatre at Wealden Times Midsummer Fair’s Sew, Grow, Eat festival in June. Cherry has compiled a selection of her delicious recipes in her...
This really is one of the quickest and easiest recipes so ideal for feeding families easily and quickly during the holidays. Everything goes into one pan and comes with its own delicious gravy – for younger children I just serve...
This cake is a standby dessert in my home at any time of year – I just add whatever fruit is in season so it becomes apple and blackberry in autumn, raspberry and redcurrant in the summer and mincemeat and...