- Pre-heat oven to 170˚C.
- Roast the plums, sprinkled with brown sugar and a little sherry till they are soft; then leave to cool.
- To make the custard base, place the milk, butter, sugar and lemon zest in a saucepan over a low heat, and stir till the butter and sugar are melted. Crumb the panettone in an electric blender and sprinkle the crumbs over the base of a 2 litre pudding dish. Add the whisked egg to the milk and pour over the crumbs. Leave until the crumbs have absorbed the custard.
- Next bake the custard in a bain marie for 30-40 minutes till set.
- Set oven to 150˚C.
- Whisk the egg whites till stiff, add a spoonful of sugar and continue to whisk before adding the next spoonful and continue until all the sugar is incorporated.
- Spoon the roasted plums over the baked custard, but do not add any of the plum juices. Next, spoon or pipe the meringue mixture over the plums and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- I would serve this with cream.
900ml Full Fat Milk
80g Caster Sugar
5 Egg Yolks (whisked)
12 Red Plums (stoned & quartered)
6tbsp Brown Sugar
2tbsp Sherry or Water
2tbsp Egg Whites
220g Caster Sugar
Not everyone loves the traditional figgy pud, so here is a delicious festive alternative
- words: Juliet Bidwell
- pictures: David Merewether
- styling: Helen Barton
You may also like
Writer, blogger and homemaker Cherry Menlove will be demonstrating her baking and craft skills at the Chefs’ Theatre at Wealden Times Midsummer Fair’s Sew, Grow, Eat festival in June. Cherry has compiled a selection of her delicious recipes in her...
This really is one of the quickest and easiest recipes so ideal for feeding families easily and quickly during the holidays. Everything goes into one pan and comes with its own delicious gravy – for younger children I just serve...
This cake is a standby dessert in my home at any time of year – I just add whatever fruit is in season so it becomes apple and blackberry in autumn, raspberry and redcurrant in the summer and mincemeat and...