For the Shortcrust Pastry:
170g Plain Flour & Pinch of Salt
100g Cold Unsalted Butter
1tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Large Free Range Egg Yolk
Caroline Cowan makes some Christmas Mince Pies
- Place flour & salt in a bowl. Cut butter into cubes, with your fingers turn into a crumble-like mixture.
- Stir in caster sugar, then add egg yolk and mix quickly with a palette knife. Add water a little at a time until mixture is drawn together into a dough.
- Press into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 10 minutes.
Quick Mincemeat Recipe: (Best made a month in advance)
- In a bowl, mix together 110g sultanas, 170g each raisins and currants, 170g grated Bramley apples, 110g suet, 200g soft brown sugar, 100g finely chopped mixed peel, 65g blanched and chopped almonds, ½ tbsp mixed spice, the zest and juice of 1 orange and a splash of brandy.
- Wash some clean jars in soapy water, rinse and dry in a warm oven. Spoon the mincemeat into the sterilised jars and seal. This will keep for 12 months.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Thinly roll out pastry onto a floured surface. Press out 12 circles with a 8cm cutter and use to line a 12-hole mince pie tin.
- Using a star-shaped cutter, press out 12 star lids for mince pies. Spoon 1tsp of mincemeat into each pastry case and brush the edge of pastry with a little water and top with a star lid. Brush tops with a little milk.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry turns golden brown.
- words: Caroline Cowan
- pictures: David Merewether
You may also like
Rope in some extra help – this recipe is great for the kids to get messy with Method: Preheat your oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Oil and line a 2lb loaf cake tin. Put the bananas still in...
Method: Preheat oven to 160°C, fan140°C, gas 3. Oil and line an 8 inch spring form cake tin. Mix cinnamon, salt and brown sugar in a bowl and leave to one side. Add the lemon juice to the milk. Beat...
To make the crumble: Put all crumble ingredients into a bowl and rub until it resembles chunky breadcrumbs. To make the cake: Preheat your oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. Oil and line 2 x 8 inch spring form...