- Pre-heat oven to 170˚C.
- Roast the plums, sprinkled with brown sugar and a little sherry till they are soft; then leave to cool.
- To make the custard base, place the milk, butter, sugar and lemon zest in a saucepan over a low heat, and stir till the butter and sugar are melted. Crumb the panettone in an electric blender and sprinkle the crumbs over the base of a 2 litre pudding dish. Add the whisked egg to the milk and pour over the crumbs. Leave until the crumbs have absorbed the custard.
- Next bake the custard in a bain marie for 30-40 minutes till set.
- Set oven to 150˚C.
- Whisk the egg whites till stiff, add a spoonful of sugar and continue to whisk before adding the next spoonful and continue until all the sugar is incorporated.
- Spoon the roasted plums over the baked custard, but do not add any of the plum juices. Next, spoon or pipe the meringue mixture over the plums and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- I would serve this with cream.
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
900ml Full Fat Milk
80g Caster Sugar
5 Egg Yolks (whisked)
12 Red Plums (stoned & quartered)
6tbsp Brown Sugar
2tbsp Sherry or Water
2tbsp Egg Whites
220g Caster Sugar
Not everyone loves the traditional figgy pud, so here is a delicious festive alternative
- words: Juliet Bidwell
- pictures: David Merewether
- styling: Helen Barton
You may also like
Rope in some extra help – this recipe is great for the kids to get messy with Method: Preheat your oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Oil and line a 2lb loaf cake tin. Put the bananas still in...
Method: Preheat oven to 160°C, fan140°C, gas 3. Oil and line an 8 inch spring form cake tin. Mix cinnamon, salt and brown sugar in a bowl and leave to one side. Add the lemon juice to the milk. Beat...
To make the crumble: Put all crumble ingredients into a bowl and rub until it resembles chunky breadcrumbs. To make the cake: Preheat your oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. Oil and line 2 x 8 inch spring form...